Dougy Center staff member, Joan Schweizer Hoff, joins Jana to talk about the top 5 things school administrators will want to consider when a student, teacher, or staff member dies.
Top 5 Things:
- Delivering the news - How do you let the community know? What do you say/not say?
- The first days back at school - Suggestions for supportive activities.
- Memorial activities - What types of memorials do schools consider? Is it better to do something temporary or permanent?
- Identifying students who need additional help - Why it’s important to pay attention to all students, not just those close to the person who died.
- Ongoing support - What can your school do in the short and long-term to be helpful to students and staff?
For samples of letters to send to staff/families and a school crisis response plan:
Tangible suggestions for teachers: