The 2023 International Summer Institute is set for July 24 - 28
Dougy Center in Portland, Oregon
Join Dougy Center’s knowledgeable staff for an opportunity to discover the fundamentals of developing and operating peer support groups for children, teens, and families who are grieving. Learn with colleagues from around the United States and beyond who plan to start or who have already directly established programs for children and families who are grieving.
Learn how to:
- Start a program like Dougy Center’s, including an over view of philosophies, best practices, policies, procedures, and staffing
- Identify the core principles and tenets of grief-informed practice
- Develop awareness of personal beliefs, biases, and attitudes about loss and grief
- Gain an understanding about the needs of children, teens, and families who are grieving
- Develop skills in reflection, awareness, communication, and group facilitation
- Effectively identify, recruit, and retain volunteer facilitators
- Discuss how to enroll families, place children in groups, and use resource and referral services
- Design a program that fits the needs of your community
2023 International Summer Institute Flyer
Scholarships Available for the 2023 International Summer Institute
In partnership with the New York Life Foundation, each year, Dougy Center awards four International Summer Institute participants with a scholarship for free tuition, a waiver of $1,650. In addition to completing the application form, applicants will be required to submit supporting documentation, and an essay. The deadline to submit a scholarship application for the 2023 International Summer Institute is April 5, 2023. Scholarship recipients will be notified on May 3, 2023.
At Dougy Center, we value relationships and connection. We intentionally aim to create spaces where people can be heard, valued, and connect with one another. As such, we are capping participation at 20 participants in order to achieve an optimal experience for all participants. Those who register after we reach capacity will be added to a waiting list.